Monday, April 5, 2010

Intro Part Two - 100 Days

Just to briefly start, I've been casually reading/researching Taoism since about 2005, and fell in love (Didn't I say that I'm new to this???). As time went by and interest seemed to deepen, I eventually found myself a student of Traditional Chinese Medicine (acupuncture, herbal medicine, medical massage, etc) in September 2008. It was then when I truly started researching Qigong ("chee-gong": energy cultivation) via books, DVD's and classmates. After more than a year of reading and researching, I have come up with my own "entry-level" theories on health and vitality.

Basically, from what I've learned in school thus far, I'm starting to wonder if I can be equally as strong and healthy if I've got more internal energy versus having big muscles. And I'm wondering if increasing my vitality will naturally lead my fat-ass to lose more weight, rather than over-taxing myself with over-strenuous exercise.

So... to make a long story short, on April 1, 2010 I decided to test my little theories for 100 days. So here it is (as abbreviated as I could):

1) Qigong Cultivation - I will slowly increase the frequency and length of my Qi cultivation and meditation sessions. Breathing exercises to increase oxygen intake in order to improve and normalize overall body metabolism, as well as to assist in cleansing the blood and relieving blood stasis. Meditation is for calming the body and mind to maximize my full potential, and to also unblock any energy stagnation caused by prolonged emotional trauma (long story).

2) Diet - I will slowly decrease the amount of food that I eat, but increase the amount of liquids that I drink. I tend to think as you get older, the less you need to eat and the more you need to drink water. That could explain why as we get older, our metabolism slows down and our bodies dry up, hence, the decreased need for food and the increased need for water.

3) Exercise - I will do only exercises to maintain natural strength and flexibility, without it being over-taxing on the body. Yoga, moderate cardio, etc. Moderate exercise that focuses on natural strength and flexibility is just plain something that appeals to me more than being Mr. Muscleman.

My proposed outcome should be as follows: 1) increased feeling of energy, 2) a more calm and clarity of mind, 3) an improvement in blood levels (cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar, etc, 4) loss of excess adipose tissue (fat), but with maintained toned muscles resulting in the "cut" look.

Mind you, this is more for my health and vitality, and less for my "looks." I'm married for chrissake, why would I obsess over my looks? If I'm healthy on the inside, most likely it will show on the outside anyway.

That, my friend, is what I call "Yin Nourishing." More on that later.

So there. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment