Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 6 - with an overview of my Qigong regimen

Well, it's day six, and lemme tell ya... I just happened to start this whole thing near Easter and I've fallen off the wagon already (as far as diet).

But you know what? It's okay. Consistency makes the habit, the habit makes the lifestyle. So you get back on that horse and keep going. You should never beat yourself up over your mistakes. They happen. Grow up, live and learn.

So here's my morning Qigong regimen:

1)
Sitting meditation - relaxing the mind and body in order to prepare for the intake and free flow of Qi

2) Standing meditation - Wuji state, tree pose. Maintaining the relaxed state, concentrating on deeply rooting myself (my feet) towards the center of the earth.

3) Qigong cultivation - breathing exercises. Maintaining the relaxed state, deep breathing exercises, breathing into my navel, or two-three finger-widths below, and storing the energy (Qi) from the oxygen there even as I exhale.

4) Sitting Qigong - Microcosmic Orbit/Small Circulation. Taking the Qi from my lower abdominal storage and circulating it around the center of my body.

5) Taijiquan - 24 posture Yang Form. I consider this "Macrocosmic Orbit" because now we're circulating Qi throughout all the energetic channels of the body.

And lemme tellya... after the Qigong session, I feel friggin' amazing.

And strangely enough, I feel less need for food for the rest of the day. Just plenty of water.

So, I've been wondering... what are the average breaths one take when running a mile? I looked it up because my lazy ass won't run the mile to find out. I discovered somewhere on Google that it's about 400 breaths per mile. Whether or not that's feasible, I'll find out later, but I'll take that number.

Interesting. So what if I decide to do my Qigong cultivation exercises based on that number? 400 reps of deep, controlled breathing. My proposed theory is that perhaps my body will be just as oxygenated as if I actually ran the mile... however, my body wouldn't have to recover from sore muscles, as well as the build up of lactic acid, thus my body wouldn't have to expend that extra energy to heal itself. So would that mean that I would feel better and have more energy from BREATHING the mile than if I actually RAN the mile? Maybe.

But just so you know, this is just for my Qigong session... in the workout session, I do a series of sprints.

Wow... interesting. "Breathing the Mile." I think I'll try it and I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment